Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Release the Kraken!

So this is my progress this summer, on the craft room!

An older woman used to live in the condo before us, and she chose the downstairs master as her bedroom.  It had this one accent wall in gold that I assume matched the theme of her bedroom.


 I mixed a blue we used in the bathroom with a hint of the green we used in our kitchen to make this less saturated blue.  Here is a shot of the paint still wet:


We had a dark teal that we used in the loft that I knew I wanted to use to paint on something awesome.  I brainstormed for a while and thought about painting big peacock feathers on the wall or big dandelions.  Then, from the inspiration of a little bit of googling I decided on octopus tentacles.  I started out by drawing them with white chalk on the walls and then moving on to the paint.  It took about two coats to get them fully painted in.  Here's the finished wall:



We really like the room now.  We plan on adding a twin bed for guests and accenting the room with different nautical scuba/steampunk-esque elements.  I guess you could say we want the room in the theme of the video game, Bioshock. (No mom, this is not a beach house, we are not talking Outer Banks lighthouses nautical (cause we're too cool for that)).

 
So, then I got curious about the artists for Bioshock, so that brings me to business to present not one, but two artists!

Craig Sellars

 http://www.greensocksart.com/

Craig Sellars is a freelance artist working in the video game industry.  He was one of the main concept designers for the game, Bioshock.  He has experience in feature film, tv, and the video game industries. He has worked for Disney and EA (Electronic Arts).  His recent commissions have been with LEGO and and Microsoft.  Sellars began his education at Sheridan College with a degree in Animation and studied Industrial Design at Fanshawe College.


 These are some of Craig Sellars digital concepts.  I chose the top because it reminds me of Left 4 Dead and the Walking Dead.  The empty deserted kitchen looks like a family was sitting down for breakfast and ran out when a zombie apocalypse broke out.


Then here is one from the video game I've been talking about.  This one is actually from the next game in the series, (so cleverly named) Bioshock 2.  

Mike Sebalj

http://www.mikesebaljart.com/index.htm

Mike Sebalj is another one of the concept artists for Bioshock.  He again, works in the video game industry as an illustrator and production designer.  He studied at Fanshawe College and received a degree in Industrial Design (same as his co-worker Craig Sellars).  His latest work has been with the release of Bioshock 2 and the Darkness 2.



Here is one of the rooms in Bioshock 2 with a break down of his added elements.  Bioshock takes place in an underwater city.  I just love the glow of the water and the creepy statues...


Here is one of the grand staircases to the city by Sebalj.  One of my favorite elements about the game is the color palate of the blues/teals/greens with the rich golds and reds.  Such a contrast!

This little learning session has actually given me more inspiration for my craft room.  I think I will go put up some Bioshock posters and steampunk elements to drive my mom crazy :) (No lighthouses in this underwater room!).

No comments:

Post a Comment