Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Childrens Books

36.  Eric Carle

Born in Syracuse New York, Eric and his family moved to Germany where he spent his childhood.  He dreamed of returning back to the United States.  He was born in the 1930s and grew up during World War II in Germany.  It was a hard time in his life.  He was educated at  Akademie der Bildenden Künste Stuttgart.

He is most famous for his children's books like, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which he illustrated in 1969. He is a collage artist, and he does his work in hand painted paper.  Most of his artwork is inspired by nature and curiosity.



37. Anna Dewdney

She is a mom who lives in Vermont with her two daughters.  She writes the "Llama Llama" books (and if you haven't read them, my two year old class loves them).  On her "about me" she pretty much explained that she has had a lot of jobs over the years and did the art thing on the side to make some money and one day she just quit it all.  Now she spends most her time with her dogs and writing, oh and then visiting her publisher.  
Sounds like a great life!

I love her pictures because, well she draws the best cartoon llamas around.  They are so expressive.  It's all in the llama eyes and ears.  The coloring is so soft, though I'm not sure what medium she works in.

38.  Lisa McCue

She has illustrated over 175 children's books!  She was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Tappan New York.  As she tells it: "While in high school I was given the assignment to write a paper describing a day in my life 25 years into the future. I described myself as married with 2 children, working in my studio overlooking the ocean and designing greeting cards with a dog at my feet. I must have had a crystal ball that day. The only difference is I look out at the Chesapeake Bay, not the ocean."  She illustrated her first book in college and now she's still doing it, 30 years later.

Her work is so dreamlike with the bright colors.  Can I just say I love her texture?  Look at that grass and the fuzzy bunny.  Those blueberries look good enough to eat!  Yum!

39. Rosemary Wells

She was born in New York and raised on the Jersey Shore.  She recalls that as a child she spent a lot of time outdoors and playing outside with her neighbor.  Maybe that is where some of her inspiration comes from.  She is known for her artwork from the Max and Ruby series.  For her, a book can take anywhere from 2 to 10 months to create.  Her process:

"When I start illustrating I have my dummy in front of me. I begin to draw using mechanical pencil. When my pencil drawing is complete I draw over it in very light blue ink. Then I erase all the pencil lines and have a line image in blue. The color goes on. I use a lot of watercolor. I also use other media—gouache, pastel, ink, and colored pencils."

40. Helen Craig

She was born in London in the 1930s and moved to the country right around the outbreak of WWII.  She is known for her illustrations of Angelina Ballerina.  Her inspiration comes from her childhood.  She has an obsession with mice, she really loves how they can stand on their hind legs and almost looks like little people.  She is fond of Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit (my personal fav) and she said that it inspired her as a child in her obsession with mice.

I guess if you're really passionate about something, why not create illustrations and make money off of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment