Thursday, July 26, 2012

OMG shoes

Now I have my old painting textbook open in front of me and I'm pulling artists out based on what inspires me.  Now that I've decided to go the route of painting and possibly pastelling, this might be a good source for me.

25. Lisa Milroy

She was born in Canada and then went to London  to study at the St. Martins School of Art.  She earned a BFA at the University of London and is now the head of Graduate Painting at the Slade School of Fine Art.

 Her shoe painting was the one printed in my textbook and I liked it because of it's simplicity.  It looks like it's only done using 3 different colors and I like how they are shown repeated in different views.  Her art to me always looks like it's not finished.  Like her painting in the middle, I really just want to give her a ruler for those lines.  Her shapes never look just right, but I kind of like that about her art.  It doesn't need to be perfect!

26. Wayne Thiebaud

I saw one of his pieces on my DC trip.  He's know for his paintings of pastries and cakes.  He is known as a pop artist because of his use of exaggerated color and interest in everyday objects.  He was born in Arizona but raised in California.  The now 91 went to California State University in 1951 and earned his masters in 1952.  He taught there up until the 1970s.

He earned a National Medal of Arts from president Clinton in 1994.


Here is the one I took from our trip.  What I really like about his art, other than the fact that looking at cakes makes me hungry, is his shading.  I like the use of contrasting colors to create a shadow like the yellow and purple on the first cake picture.  He uses a lot of exaggerated color and his repeated subject matter make his paintings really fun.

27. Janet Fish

This realist painter was born in Boston, Massachusetts and raised in Bermuda.  Shes comes from a large family of artists, including her parents, aunts, and uncles.  She went to Smith College back in Massachusetts and studied printmaking.  She moved her attention to panting when she attended at Yale from 1960-1963.  She studied alongside Chuck Close and became one of the first women to earn a Masters of Fine Arts at Yale (You go girl!).

She works with light really well.  I love her paintings of plastics, because it is really hard to communicate that in a painting.  I think she gets the reflections really well and the shapes just right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment