Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Project 2


Lego E. Lee.  Stonewall Lego?  General Legoston.  8 x 10" Pastel on Pastel Paper.
(Ignore terrible photo quality, I'm working on lighting for my little studio)

Exploring a new idea for senior sem...

I want to take classic art and redo it with pop culture and nerd icons to show the change in social culture.  Did I phrase that right?  Hmm...,well it's like this:

If you show a child or any average adult a picture of these two men, they can't regurgitate any info on them.  Maybe a name if they learned it in school as a child. 

But then you look at my pastel drawing, and just about every average American can tell you that's a LEGO.  It's sad that toys are more familiar icons than people like Napoleon.

I'm working on another painting, that will take me the remainder of the summer.  I am taking this painting:

And turning it into something like this:
I always find it funny how popular Star Wars is.  I've recently been watching a feed on my Facebook about a recent Star Wars convention where everyone gets together and dresses up as Stormtroopers and Darth Vader and run around and enjoy Star Wars culture.  It's roughly sketched out on the canvas.

I'm on a roll with this idea.  It really motivates me more than the make-up idea, and Senior Sem should be fun right?  I'm really in love with this concept as of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment