Saturday, July 7, 2012

On a roll

10.  Kumi Yamashita

Born in Japan, and now resides and works in New York.  She earned a bachelors at the Cornish College of the Arts in Washington, USA and earned her masters at the Glasgow School of Art in the UK.

I don't feel like I need to say much more, just look:

Done with nails and a single piece of thread on a white panel.
 
Crazy, right?

Origami silhouetts

Talk about exploring new media and using paper to create shadows.  Not like the silhouettes we do at Busch Gardens!  I can't imagine using a single piece of thread in the string work.  What happens if you run out?

11.  Eckart Hahn

And now I will roughly try to translate this German artist's page from what I remember from High School German class:
He was born in Freiburg Germany and studied Art History at the Eberhart-Karl University.  He then traveled to Stuttgart to study Graphic Design at the Johannes-Gutenberg School.

What drew me to his work, was his amazing description of texture in his paintings.  Here are a few done in acrylics:

Remember in Art Foundations when the teacher crumpled up a paper bag and made you draw it to describe texture and shading?  Yeah, well how about these?

12. Greg Stones

He was born in Rhode Island and went to Bates College in Maine.  He wanted to be a cartoonist but he had a change of plans during his senior thesis show in school when a newspaper rejected his comic strip.  He ended up selling landscape paintings he did for his show instead.  But who could paint just plain old boring landscapes?  So he spruced his up, with humor
13.  Mike Shankman

Landscape painter whom went to the University of California to study Global Studies.  Then did a Studio Arts program in Florence, Italy after graduating.  His recent paintings are paintings of "broken landscapes."  His rough brush strokes and amazing use of bright colors caught my attention.  Reminds me a bit of looking at landscape artists in painting class last semester.
I love the black shadows and contrasting colors in the first one.

Still trying to get inspired by my artist research to pic a topic for senior seminar.  That is mostly why I have been researching an array of different artists using different mediums.  I love looking at all of the painters, and I think shortly I will begin a painting I have been planning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment